Saturday, July 25, 2009

Are Your Dreams Bigger Than Your Memories?!?!?

Let me ask you a profoundly personal, yet absolutely pivotal question: Are your dreams bigger than your memories? Do you find greater joy in reflecting on where you have been or in pondering the path ahead? Is the focus of your conversations the experiences of yesterday or the opportunities of tomorrow?

Allow me to make an honest confession. I have reluctantly accepted the reality that I am no longer a young man: my life have has transitioned from dunking basketballs to dunking doughnuts, I no longer notice the amount of gray in my hair. At this point in life I am just happy that I have yet to reach the age where my waistband starts to creep ever higher!!

As I fully embrace the middle years of life, it seems only natural to look back on where I've been. When it comes to the reminiscent moments I am a softy. I will make time to visit old homesteads and can talk about the days gone by with the best of them. I am convinced there is tremendous value in recognizing the foundational moments of life and am confident that one is well served by honoring the defining moments in their journey. The list of characters who have played a role in the drama that is my life are long, and a debt of gratitude is due to each. I am truly thankful for the many milestones and countless memories in my life.

That being said, I am still convinced that my greatest days lie ahead. Equipped with the wealth of knowledge that life to this point has brought, and confident of God's promises, the dream I have for the days to come is significant. God's Word tells me that I am the salt of the earth... I want my seasoning to have an impact! The Apostle Paul challenges us in Philippians 3 to forget what is behind and strain toward what is ahead, pressing on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called us heavenward in Christ Jesus. The true value of that which lies behind will only be realized as we remain faithful to the path that God has marked out for us. This truth motivates us to run with endurance the race that is set before us.

As the movie Shawshank Redemption draws to a close, Morgan Freeman's character, "Red" reminds us of the undeniable truth that "You've gotta get busy living, or get busy dying." Jesus declared the reason he came was to provide each of us with the opportunity to live life to it's full, and Ephesians encourages us to make the most of every opportunity.

So, join me as we together enjoy those moments that provide opportunity for reflection and celebrate the loves and laughs of yesterday. Let's enjoy the smiles our memories bring... and building on the strengths of our yesterdays let's confidently, expectantly look to tommorow, trusting God for greater victories and a greater story.

"When your memories exceed your dreams the end is near."
Andy Stanley

No comments: